What is Food Engineering?
Food engineering is a multidisciplinary field of applied physical sciences which combines science, microbiology, and engineering education for food and related industries. Food engineering includes, but is not limited to, the application ofagricultural engineering and chemical engineering principles to food materials. Food engineers provide the technological knowledge transfer essential to the cost-effective production and commercialization of food products and services.
Among its domain of knowledge and action are:
- research and development of new foods, biological and pharmaceutical products
- development and operation of manufacturing, packaging and distributing systems for drug/food products
- design and installation of food/biological/pharmaceutical production processes
- design and operation of environmentally responsible waste treatment systems
- marketing and technical support for manufacturing plants.